Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/deb7131n5/domains/maxvoltar.com/public_html/2009/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 14

Deprecated: Function split() is deprecated in /home/deb7131n5/domains/maxvoltar.com/public_html/2009/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(570) : eval()'d code on line 471
Maxvoltar - Business Card Websites, part 2

Maxvoltar is the personal weblog of Tim Van Damme, a freelance interface designer at Made by Elephant.

50° 54' 47" N, 4° 25' 50" E

Business Card Websites, part 2

3 months ago I launched my Business Card Website (coining that term). The reactions varied from extremely positive to people saying they didn’t understand the purpose of it. Here’s a brief recap of what happened since then.

People have been writing / tweeting about it, people have been analyzing it.

Can I use/buy it?

Besides people blatantly stealing the original design, I was surprised by the amount of emails I was getting (and am still receiving) of people asking if they could use, or even buy the design. I was flattered. Not only did they like the design, but they liked the concept of the site. My first reaction was to release the site as some kind of DevKit, free for everyone to use and customize. So I answered most of those emails telling those people I would release it soonish, they just had to be patient.

A change of mind

I looked back at the site, the code behind it, and made a list of changes that needed to happen so that there was some space to customize it. The list was long, as I designed the site specific to my needs. I also realized that most of the people emailing me didn’t have a great technical background, meaning it would be hard for them to dive into the HTML and make changes more complicated then just adding of removing some of the networks listed. I could already imagine the amount of emails I would get asking for support. Already short on time, and with a huge list of both personal and paid projects, I decided not to release the DevKit.

Inspired

Another reason I made this decision, is that people started making their own BCW’s (sounds cool, huh?). Here are the ones I found out about so far:

As I said in a comment on Safetygoat.co.uk:

I’m really honored by these ones, as they are somewhat tributes to my original version.

If there are more, link them up in the comments!

Conclusion

I would like to encourage people to create their own, and am sorry for the promise I made about the DevKit. If I had more time, I would create a lovely webapp for it (moneytip!!).

Now, how far are we with cloning people? 2 me’s to go please.

22Comments

• Dean

3494 days ago

Almost as soon as I saw your “BCW” I started planning what my own could look like, how I could build on the idea etc etc. And as I tend to do a lot I’ve gone through half a dozen designs, each beginning before the previous was finished. I’ll finish one eventually :) I think they’re a neat idea, and interesting to see each persons slightly different spin on the idea.

Like the site redesign too, very clean.

• Wolf

3494 days ago

Not to spoil the fun, but people have been having theirname.com domains, with links to their various websites and social networks for a really long time. It’s not a new idea – although it is well executed in this case.

• Tim Van Damme

3494 days ago

@Wolf: I know, but I like to believe I sparked the hype a bit ;)

• Chris Harrison

3494 days ago

@Tim: Well, it certainly sparked interest in me! :) Your card and Rogie’s certainly served as inspiration for what I came up with. Thanks for including a link to mine on here.

• John Phillips

3494 days ago

Tim, thanks for linking me up. I was actually kind of nervous about my design because I was worried that people would think I was [too] closely replicating yours, and Rogie’s, idea. I definitely wanted to give you a shoutout for inspiring though.

I hadn’t seen any of those other ones you linked up, all of them are really nice.

p.s. You left out an “l” in my last name. :)

• caitlin

3493 days ago

great design. very inspirational.

• Daniel Genser

3493 days ago

Thanks for the link Tim. I’d been wanting to build what I was considering a ‘switchboard’ site for quite a while – one that I didn’t really need to think about updating, but would act as the gateway to my other online endeavors. I never found the right design language though.

After seeing your “business card” site and thinking that, yes, this is pretty much a 21st century business card, the design direction revealed itself to me. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

• Tyler Galpin

3492 days ago

Tim,

Thanks for the shoutout. The idea of having a “business card online” is not new but your implementation of it made it clear that it could very well be useful and appealing at the same time.

Great inspiration, and fantastic idea!

• Travis Schmeisser

3491 days ago

Love this idea. I did something like this a bit ago, but angled it more towards a bio rather than a business card. Has the same type of information though: http://www.tschmeisser.com

• Daniel Genser

3491 days ago

Nice job, Travis. I like that quite a bit. Reminds me of a paper business card I designed once.

• wayne sutton

3490 days ago

Aww, thanks for the update and as one of the people who where emailing you, I understand. I guess it’s time for me to open up dreamweaver and see what I can crank out or either stick with wordpress.

I wish you much success in 09

Wayne

• pTouch

3489 days ago

Is this too much of a rip?

(pardon the ipsum)

• Moises Kirsch

3488 days ago

I did mine a few weeks ago after reading something similar somewhere else.

Mine is at http://www.soymoi.com/

• Tomasz Werbicki

3488 days ago

Hah, I’ve checked out these 7 links and… ‘Damn, there’s no other poistion than interface designer outside my room?’

Anyway it’s not new, but still nice and worth promoting idea.

• Dan Rubin

3487 days ago

I love these little BC sites, especially those highlighting some simple jQuery to add a little spice.

I did something similar a few years ago (not saying that to take away from your current sparking of interest :) with http://danielrubin.org (designed as an example for Pro CSS Techniques) and more recently with http://superfluouslife.org/ (linked from my Twitter bio, rather than my main site). It’s great to have a platform from which visitors can launch themselves into your online life :)

• Tim Van Damme

3487 days ago

• Terjin

3487 days ago

Inspired by your nice work, I have leapt up and joined in on the BCW bandwagon.

Great work as always Tim!

• Scott Webb

3478 days ago

I’ve been wondering what to do with my site that I registered for my name. I have to try and figure out how to do something simple.

perfect!

• Paul M. Watson

3474 days ago

It’s a brilliant design and I reckon an automated tool that pumps them out would do well for tech and non-tech alike.

• Matt

3471 days ago

Are you ok with BCWs that imitate your design (with credits of course) or just with BCWs that imitate the ergonomy ?
    The other BCWs you link are cool but I fell in love with the classy/sober look of your BCW..

• Tim Van Damme

3471 days ago

@Matt: “Imitating” the idea is not a problem. Copying the design is…

• Matt

3471 days ago

@Tim Ok :)

Commenting is closed for this article.

Home